Monday, April 23, 2012

Reflections on the "This I Believe" Visual Essay

Through this project, I discovered the pains of expressing my opinion because I really don't like to trample on toes.

My beliefs took an unexpected liberal turn and came off as anti-American, which is somewhat true.  I don't believe that America has any real grasp on education and it needs federal reform.  Yet, I hate discussing politics and I feel that the video project urged me into making that statement.

Why I didn't choose a typical essay was the sheer lack of excitement, though.  I could preach my beliefs on how a classroom should be run but I have had little to no experience outside of being a student (which will change as the curriculum progresses), but who am I to make those judgments?  However, I do feel that I am qualified a political opinion because regardless of how my classroom will be run, America will still face turmoil.

The project itself, to me, was not fun.  I don't like giving my opinion unless prompted in face-to-face contact.  That, and recording my opinion and condensing it to 3-5 minutes was difficult.  The video interface was unfamiliar and unforgiving.  I did not find this project to have any redeeming value.

I love videos though; I spent three years in my high school video department and won numerous awards at the High School Film Festival.  But my hobby is only for recreation.  This kind of unimaginative project made it difficult to bear through.

I don't plan on using self-created video in my future classroom.  It takes far too much time to even create a five minute slideshow video, let alone an informative lesson plan.  But this is just my opinion, and I dislike sharing it.




No comments:

Post a Comment